Last year, I bought a dress for $400 as a birthday gift to myself, and even though I LOVE IT and it looks beautiful on me, I had never spent so much money on myself impulsively when knowing it could've gone to more meaningful endeavors.
This year, 3 hours into the date of my birth, I decided to invest in a company/business of a third world country. Because the US dollar holds more quantity of value in currency in comparison to other countries, $20 can go a long way, especially when converted to a third world country's currency. This concept of making investments where the power of converted currency, entrepreneurship, and world-wide social action was created by Muhammad Yunus. Yunus used micro-financing/micro-credit to connect and progress humanity and his work earned him the Nobel Peace Prize.
I've easily spent $20 for many things, like going out and drinking, a movie ticket and the tiniest candy box, etc, and even though I have some debt of my own, it's somehow all under control and I can afford to lose $20 a day.
So I invested $20 to FUNDEA, "a project that provides micro-finance loans to many rural entrepreneurs in business and agriculture. Underprivileged families are able to pursue projects and accomplish goals not otherwise possible.". I used MicroPlace to place my investment to FUNDEA and with MicroPlace I get .5% interest back which is highly affordable to the farmers involved because it's over a time period that is comfortable for them.
Couldn't sleep until I invested, couldn't wait to blog about it. This is my birthday gift to myself and all those that it will effect. I feel pretty good about it. =)
That is so sweet and awesome roxie :)
ReplyDeleteHow was your birthday??